"Okra!" Some love it, and some hate it because of the "slimy, sticky substance" it secretes when cooked. If you know the job this great vegetable won't go gooey, and let you down. Okra deserves much more than to be disregarded because of this sticky stuff. It's right in season and here is "a very light recipe made with only one tablespoon of olive oil and no slime." In these summer days, if you want to keep in shape, it would be a great decision to try okra. Give it a try you'll love the texture!
- 500 gr okra, try get small, fresh okra, not too soft or stiff.
- 3 middle size tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 middle size onion, chopped
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- a pinch of salt
- 3 cups of hot water
- Cut around the stem part and get a cone shape as a result, as in the picture below.
- Put half of the lemon juice in a large bowl full of water and add the okra. Wait for 20 minutes.
- Put the olive oil, chopped onions and tomatoes in a pot and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the okra, 3 cups of hot water and the rest of the lemon juice.
- Cook for 15 minutes add a pinch of salt and take it off the heat. Let it brew for 15 more minutes.
- Your okra with no goo is ready to serve!
- Most cut off the stems of okra. It's a great mistake! Cutting into this vegetable makes it cry. So cut around the stem, as in the picture.
- Also putting okra in water with lemon juice, prevents it going sticky.
- You don't have to add the lemon juice to the okra while cooking either, you can add it while serving. But it tastes much better, I advise you to try it with the lemon.